The Paoli Memorial Association was founded in 1896. It has responsibility for managing and protecting the Memorial Grounds and the gravesite, located on Monument Ave. in Malvern borough. The Memorial Grounds are the final resting place for the 53 men who were killed on grounds adjacent to the burial site during the Battle of Paoli in September 1777.
Today, the Grounds are used and enjoyed by the community for a variety of activities including special events such as the Malvern Fire Company Fair and the Memorial Parade.
Over the course of the last several years, the Association has made significant improvements at the Memorial Grounds. This last year two additional improvements have been completed, providing electricity and the replacement of the flagpole at the top of the Grounds, made possible by the generous donations of local businesses and residents. The Great Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution donated the flag.
Today, the flagpole will be dedicated to the memory of “Mr. Cakewalk” Dr. Wiley Behler, an Army veteran, a well-respected local veterinarian who, with his wife Helen, were members of the Parade Committee for twenty-three years. Wiley passed away on July 4, 2005.