Although the Paoli Massacre took place in 1777, no formal recognition or marker of the burial site existed for 40 years. In 1817, at the suggestion of Dr. William Darlington, the Republican Artillerists and a group of local citizens erected a marble monument. It was finished under the direction of William Strickland, a Philadelphia architect. The inscription at the base was understood to be written by Dr. Darlington. In 1877, a larger monument was added on the site with the same inscription.
Information source: The Paoli Massacre of 1777 by Priscilla L. Cox Richardson; 1996; Paoli Memorial Association